Eco-Minded Women Taking it Local
Imagine a group of women who share your concerns for the world around them and want to work together to learn, build leadership skills, and meet new friends. Imagine a space where you can help protect the environment by networking with peers, rubbing elbows with big shots, or exploring the outdoors—all in the company of strong, supportive women.
You could make this a reality in your city by starting a local EcoWomen Chapter!
EcoWomen is looking for women like you. EcoWomen Chapters are led and shaped by women in cities across the United States. Chapters organize events for women such as skill-building workshops, volunteer projects and educational outdoor adventures. An EcoWomen Chapter is intended to provide professional and personal growth opportunities, as well as foster communications and networking among members.
- Resume Workshops
- Salary Negotiation Workshop
- Mentor Dinners
- Book Clubs
- Film Screenings
- Mom Groups
- Outdoor Advetnures
Start a Local EcoWomen Chapter
Chapters are all-volunteer organizations consisting of at least three women. They maintain a close relationship with the National Board of Directors and uphold EcoWomen’s vision, mission, and core values. We’ll provide you with everything you need to get started, including:
- Tips and tricks for event-planning
- Connections in your local area
- Ideas for activities and events
- Communication support for your website and listserv
- Advice on growing your Chapter
- Assistance in financial and operational management
You don’t need to be the CEO of the Sierra Club or have a PhD in forestry to start an EcoWomen Chapter. You just need a little time, a little energy, and a lot of passion. Find a couple of friends, colleagues, or enviro-acquaintances, and you’re halfway there!
You’ll meet wonderful people as you form a community of women, support one another, learn from each other, and grow together. You can expect to receive tips and support from the National Board—and you are guaranteed to have a lot of fun! Sound like a good time? Get started by completing this Chapter Interest Form!
Elements of a Successful Chapter
- Positive attitude that fosters open and respectful communication
- A clear mission and purpose supporting EcoWomen
- Effective outreach to your community
- Diversity in Chapter events, activities, and membership
- Commitment to providing networking and professional opportunities and to building the leadership skills of women in your community
- Leadership that demonstrates a positive, strong commitment to the environment and women’s issues
- Readiness to share responsibilities and leadership roles
Steps to Start a Chapter
- Complete the Chapter Interest Form. We will send you a welcome packet, help you plan your first event, and connect you with any other women in your area we know.
- Contact your friends, colleagues, neighbors, and others who might be interested in participating and hold a planning meeting.
- Plan a SIMPLE first event. Organize people you know, send out an email or evite, and if it’s all friends, that’s OK! That’s how these things grow.
- Submit your application for a Chapter charter to the National Board of Directors. You’ll find application information in your welcome packet.